- It is important to collect information related to your router or extender before configuring, make sure you are fully aware and know the configurations and settings or the features of the existing extender or router. The information may include the Lan IP, the passphrase, encryption type, etc. Here is an example of how the following information may look like:
- LAN IP: 192.168.1.254
- SSID: 2WIRE_TEST
- Encryption Type: WPA2-PSK with AES
- Passphrase: testtplink
The pass phrase is very important for security purposes hence, make it sure that you have market it correctly.
- Firstly it is essential to assign a static IP address on MAC computer, to do so connect the range extender with an Ethernet cable to complete the tp link wireless repeater setup to with your MAC computer. Now you have to assign the IP address of the extender manual. The IP address which would be assigned would be the static IP address of the extender. Majorly the IP address is 192.168.0.x; the IP address could be found at the back side of the panel of the extender. These are the steps to how to change the IP address:
- Click on the Apple option on the left most corner, on the left side of “Preview”. After that click on System P
- When the system preferences window opens, go to the basket of internet and wireless and under that, click on Network
- Now in the Network screen, to the left side, you will see“ Ethernet” written. Click on it. Now select “Manually”, and then fill the IP address as 168.0.100 and the subnet Mask as 255.255.255.0. Once done with it click on the Apply button.
- Configuration on Range Extender
- Go on to the Login page of the range extender’s management page by typing http://192.168.0.254, then enter the default username and password if you are using the login page for the first time is “admin” for both.
- After that click on Network. Now make sure that the range extender’s IP address is in the same segment but is a bit different from the IP segment of the base or the root router to avoid the IP conflict. After doing that click on SAVE button. For example, you can change the IP address to 192.168.1.250
- Now Reconfigure the MAC’s computer’s address to logon Range Extender’s manage page. You will notice that the IP has been changed to 192.168.1.250 which is the IP address you changed to. Now we need to change the MAC computer’s address to 192.168.1.100
- First go to Wireless and from there go to Wireless settings, select the SelectRange as the operation mode and then click on the Range extender option. Now click on SEARCH.
- Select the SSID of your root wireless and click on connect button. At the end click on SAVE. Click on Save.
- Go to Wireless and from there go to the wireless security page. Select WPA2-PSK version and encryption of AES. In the PSK password you need to input the password “testtplink” which is the by default password. Now click on Save. The security options
- Click on System tools, a message box will appear asking you to reboot the device, click on reboot. Your device will shut down
About around 1 minute later, the range extender will start working with the new setting and updated IP address.
Go to the system tools then go to diagnostic, then you would be appeared with the IP address or the domain name bar, type 192.168.1.254, click on the Start button.
Now your extender IP address has been modified.